Ocean Literacy principles
Ocean literacy is defined as an understanding of the ocean’s influence on people and their influence on the ocean. An ocean-literate person should understand the essential principles and fundamental concepts; should be able to communicate about the ocean in a meaningful way; and is able to make informed and responsible decisions regarding the ocean and its resources.
The major subjects of this course will be:
- The Ocean Literacy Framework:
- The seven ocean literacy principles
- The science concepts underlying the Principles and how they are connected;
- History of Ocean literacy movement
- Ongoing and new initiatives in the field of ocean literacy (EU and Global)
This course will consist of a series of lectures provided by experts in the field of Ocean Literacy and will be completed by a personal applied task in which the student examines and presents and compares two existing examples of ocean literacy initiatives.
Background material used in this course will be “The Ocean Literacy Guide” (http://oceanliteracy.wp2.coexploration.org/) and the UNESCO Ocean Literacy Toolkit
This course will be organized at the Marine Station of Villefranche-sur-mer