Is your institute interested in offering Professional Practice opportunities for spring 2019?
We are very happy to announce that in the past month 110 new students started the IMBRSea programme. All of them will do a Professional Practice in the spring of 2019 for six to eight weeks.
What is a Professional Practice?
The professional practice (or ‘internship’) assists students in making an informed decision concerning their career path.
- Students evaluate their experience in the context of the learning outcomes through a Reflective Portfolio
- Students present their experiences of the professional practice at the Annual Symposium (last week of June 2019). This enhances their self-awareness through critically evaluating and reflecting on their experiences.
Click here for more information.
Why hosting a Professional Practice student?
- 1 or more students can work with you free of charge
- Students will get to know your institute and will outreach on your activities
- The period of the practice (6 to 8 weeks) is long enough to ensure students do not only get trained, but also contribute to your activities
- You participate in a crucial part of the training of the next generation of marine scientists
When can a Professional Practice be organized and how long does it take?
In the IMBRSea teaching schedule a dedicated period from the beginning of April 2019 until the end of June 2019 is foreseen. Students should not have courses during this period. At the end of June, students attend the Annual Symposium where they present their Professional Practice experiences.
The IMBRSea Professional Practice of 12 credits is equivalent to 240 working hours (6-8 weeks).
How to submit a Professional Practice possibility?
Submission and advertisement of Professional Practices is organized via the Matix platform. This online tool, supported by the marinetraining.eu platform, will also be used for the follow-up of professional practices.
Case 1 My institute is already a Partner or a pending Partner (registered on the Matix platform but agreement has not been signed yet) and I already have a personal account on the Matix platform. Log in and submit a topic
Case 2 My institute is already a Partner or a pending Partner (registered on the Matix platform but agreement has not been signed yet) but I do not have a personal account on the online platform yet. Please make a personal account under your institute.
Once you are logged in, you will be automatically redirected to the dashboard. Go to the link “add professional practice topic” and submit one or more topics via the form.
Each Professional Practice opportunity must be documented with:
- Host organisation
- Responsible scientist (+ email address)
- Short description of the nature of work that the student will have the opportunity to complete
- Language requirements
- Max. number of students that can candidate for this subject
- Specific competences required regarding the profile of the student
- Safety issues
- Location where the professional practice will take place
- Accommodation possibilities
- Any additional costs to be covered by the student: please note this will influence students in the selection of their topics as they are on a budget so please provide accurate information
- In case diving is involved, please specify if diving equipment is needed
Deadline for the submission of topics is 30th of October 2018
What does hosting a student mean from a financial point of view?
A student from the IMBRSea programme will do his practice free of charge. Accepting a student does not cost you anything. Insurance during the activities is covered by Ghent University.
What is the Professional Practice timeline?
- Submission of topics:
Call for Professional Practice topics is open from the 1st of October 2018 until the 30th of October 2018.
- Topics published in a catalogue:
After approval by the IMBRSea management board, the submitted topics will be available in a catalogue on the IMBRSea website.
- Selection of topics by students:
The Professional Practice catalogue is provided to the students. Students will choose 3-5 options they are interested in and write a motivation for each. Deadline for selection of topics for students is November 20th 2018.
- Selection of students:
Professional practice mentors can choose to be involved in the selection process of the students. By December 15th 2018 topics will be allocated.
- Professional Practice:
This will take place between the beginning of April and end of June 2019
- Professional Practice portfolio:
The Professional Practice portfolio shall be uploaded in a dedicated online environment to which the students, supervisors and the IMBRSea coordination office will have access.
Can an institution which is not an associate partner offer a Professional Practice?
This is possible! However, before the start of the Professional Practice the institution should become an associate partner of the IMBRSea Consortium. This membership will be approved by the IMBRSea management board and regulated through a signed bilateral agreement.